Thursday, March 1, 2007

Is it all about the people? Or about the System?

For any person who consider to be 亲华的,爱好中国的 what we call Sinophile in English that is very true.It is enough for a foreigner to travel by train around China and to see that even the smallest
land surface as little as half square meter having wheat, rice or corn is planted and growing.
Knowing the history of China before Opening Reform you will see the same people and facing in some places hunger like situation.What makes the same people in two different situation and in two different times look live so differently.
I learned the answer and let us ride back in time to 1990,January 12th.
I am living in Switzerland and I have a friend, business partner Albrecht Herda and he call s me from his home Near Meiningen East Germany where he lives a few miles from Iron Curtain at the west side of the border that was dividing the Germany.This curtain was filled with Guns that will shoot at anything that moves nearby.That place was a wild forest and many deer's ,wild pigs, foxes were often killed ,victim by machine guns activated by sensors.We should not ignore humans who were killed by trying to pass this border.
He says Joe , there is something crazy is going on, they start issuing visa at the border.
I just packed my usual 3 kg back pack that always company me to everywhere I go, and jumped into my car and drove the 700 km from my home in Swiss Alps to the city of Bad Neu Stadt an Der Saale and driving the German Autobahn I arrive to Rhon where my friend greets me
\with the local greeting words :
Grüß Gott
und herzlich willkommen
The next day we decide to use my Car with Swiss Registration number and head to
the border
At the border we pay 5 German Marks and issued visa
My friend is very excited he is driving the car, I am looking from window and suddenly I have the feeling that I am getting in a prison.
I start to see that there is not one border but there is more 2 borders at the eastern side.
And quickly understand that those borders were not made for protection against outsiders
but to keep in jail the whole population.Than after a few kilometers drive, we arrive to the city of Meiningen

Suddenly I just feel depressed with what I see.
I have a very strange feeling.
Despite we traveled 5 kms from west to east I have the feeling that I did not travel in space but did so in time.I looked to the city the doors, buildings , windows of the shops I just think
no it can not be true, I am sure that I traveled in time, back to 1945.
I was born in 1950 that day I was 40 years old in 1991 I felt I am 40 years old in 1945 to be 40 years old at a time 5 years before the year of birth is very strange feeling hard to deal with.
Than I look at the people of Meiningen , they all look like ghosts, pale unhealthy faces, very black teethes, the shops having rotten lemons imported from Cuba, few goods at shops
I just see desperation ,hunger, extreme alcoholism and I ask a very strange question.
I see factories straight out of Charlie Chaplin movies showing abject poverty of workers sitting around
idle factory building in brick.
Saw mills that frozen in time since 1940 as if time is frozen the clocks stopped, and the calender did not change.
How about the German Nation reputation about Hard working people, Industrious, Engineering Genius of Porsche, Mercedes and BMW?
How can I deal with a city that if you want to make a movie about war refugees fleeing the second world war misery, you no need to build decors just bring some people and shoot them with movie cameras
without spending a penny for the back ground.
Than I think how can I be so stupid to believe something to be as true as a well built engineering art work as Benz ...
And at the same time to see these Genius people as miserable as the poorest third world country people in the Middle of Europe , a continent well known for its Refined Culture, Highly Organized
Social System.
What is really Europe?What is the paradox that lies in Europe being advanced and backward how that can be possible?
In historical context how such a continent can be a light to other nations , the IT center of Human Rights of Liberty, Equality and Fraternity can be a place that people can suffer humiliation, degradation,
massacre in a scale unknown in any other continent if we think about The Protestants, Jews, Gypsies, Arabs, Turks in the hands of their European Tormentors in different times and places in the history.
Than I come to the conclusion that it is not about DNA.If Germans can be advanced 3 kilometers in the west of a line
and be totally mentally at tarted looking on the east of the line.
Its due to the drawing line between bad and good leadership.
A good leader can create a paradise for his
country , his company or in managing his life and health well. A bad manager can turn the whole situation to a Hell on Earth.
So if you are fat, smoker , if your company have conflicts between people and bad performance , if your country is filled with jobless people and frustrated citizens, you need see the reality.You suffer from Management Style diseases.

Just look to Sweden, Japan or any other country in that matter.They do not blame others for their own fault

Than it is just foolishness to say that Germans are all engineers and hard working, and Chinese people are very clever and hard working.
That day in Meiningen I learnt that very important lesson that will shape me in my approach to other people from other cultures.n
I also learnt a different lesson on that trip to East Germany.
When I saw the Russian Army Barracks with cannibalized equipment due to the lack of spare parts logistics system and barracks buildings with all smashed windows.
It was winter the temperature was also minus 20 degrees Celsius.
I also decided that from that day on. I will not believe in any political news and arguments about controversial subjects.
I will also remember that anything can look true for sometimes but later we may find out that is really not as true as we used to believe.
I always smile when I go to Europe now when I hear people talking against Bush that he likes to make war and thinking is that people have memory of past?
We are not talking in distant past.
We are talking about 1940 were 30 millions of people were killed.
And Americans that came to save them from the hands of Tyranny that was based on idea to kill anybody who has no blue eyes blond hair and small noses.
I also laugh when I hear how people talk about China, that is a bad country with bad government very bad bosses that exploit slave labor.
They do not know how big is this country.
How what they say can be true in one place and can be untrue in thousand other places.
And the truth does not have only one face sometimes can have 1001 faces.
Than I answer them with old Chinese saying that a person who travel hundred miles know more than a person who read thousand books.
I tell them how I feel lucky to do both and to see things with my very own eyes.
To see China and the people running to their future make my heart very warm
It is because the willingness of doing more for less that is the essence in the development of this country
It is their ability to change without abandoning the core values mixing the east and west , the old and new, the western medicine and Chinese medicine that makes them what they became today.
It is the spirit of cooperation and joining forces that is all about
So it is not about the people.
It is the system that we must talk about
It is the system of management.
China from government to companies both public and private chose the conciliatory way.
They chose the slow instead fast, and use the contradicting powers around the same goal.
They created a system of Management that is unique.
Those of the westerners who live and observed China since long time, they call it:
The biggest school of the world.

I want now like to talk about how Jewish people were seen even in China.
They believe that Jewish people are very clever.
They are all rich and able to go to any place and become rich
Lets travel in time 1982 London I am visiting the Manager of London Office of National Bank of Nigeria Ltd, he is very helpful to pay the Letter Of Credits that I receive from Nigeria
and he is a person that I visit often to present the shipping documents under the Letter of Credits issued by his head Office and paid by his London Branch.
He is a Black African and he drove me to dinner with his car and His driver is Jewish man from London no different from any other London Chauffeur.
Lets fly forward to 1993 I arrive to Israel initially for 2 weeks and where later I decide to spend long time until 1998.
There I saw many Jews, antisocial rude , the prisons have Jewish crooks, killers , drug dealers and all sort of them.
Well my legs also took me to the places and times to let me see that a word can be right.

May be all is not about the people but about management.
From now on I will speak how Chinese manage different situation,
I will also talk with the following vision in mind.
I
Chinese produce everything in big quantities all products services exist under very hard competitive conditions
Except.
For now Chinese are unable to cope to produce enough managers to manage ever increasingly created companies.
Like everything here this will push people to rush to management schools and MBA courses, and the next tide from china will not be in form of containers coming to other countries
The next tide will be of Chinese managers who are successful in leading the China Branch of Multinational Companies under cut throat competition in China Market
to become the Global Managers of the Future.
This not going to happen tomorrow but the seeds of this future spurt is already germinating here.
So my next posting will cover how different situations are managed in China.

No comments: