Saturday, March 3, 2007

Christmas 1989, Lagos Nigeria, Taqwa Beach Part 2尼日利亚(非洲中西部国家)






Part 2

After finishing our lunch 
seeing me leaving without paying.
Samuel says 
Papa why you did not pay
I say 
I found a school for her daughter.There is no way for her to accept any money.Her husband fish all day squid ,fish they raise their chicken  and rice in the village and even in dry season the fresh water is just in a well of 20 cm deep.

In fact he was receiving his first lesson of networking and intercultural cross communication.
He was thinking I was in a new country.
But in fact I was learning how to  connect my self to another indigenous
culture.I was in that school  of life that help me to find a way to be with different people.It was my school  there.And I already studied 6 years
I just used a different approach .
Any people from any country when they travel to a foreign land, they will just go to a place and the first thing they will do is  to be in a place like "Starbucks Cafe "
They are like fishes in coral sea.Blue fish will all stay together .Th yellow will do the same.


That is why my Korean classmate in Chinese class said , I need to be with the people of my own culture.After he found out that if my speaking was good during the three months of Chinese learning, it is because I left all the fishes of my own color.
I just want to know the ways of other fishes.
He said with very sad eyes.
How can you be far away from your culture?
He did not
know that,
I was in that school of learning another culture from within ,many years before.

That school name was FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA a country where one of every three black African is living in.

After the initial shock of arriving there, I did like every body.
I just start judging.Roads are bad,
dead bodies staying on the road sometimes two or more days, drivers are horrible in fact an endless list of many disturbing things .Disturbing is just a very strongly moderated description of the reality..

Than I just think what is the next step?


-Rush to the airport, take the first plane RUN RUN RUN from this hell on earth.....

And than I ask my self
Why I came to this conclusion?
Simple. I use my own value
system based on my culture if I have any or a few of this big word that starts with a small c.....
Or wait a minute
Maybe My eyes, my mind need to learn to look and think in different way.
How about my values are like an old coins that can not buy even 2 sticks of matches here?Worthless currency should not be used if it is in paper, coin or judgment.

May be we human sometimes can look and see. and most of the times can look but without really seeing anything.
Maybe we just become blind in unfamiliar surroundings.
A big cultural shock that can turn us into a blind person.

I decided to train my eyes to see what is in background and not to let to be distracted by unattractive things who were in
foreground.

I build in my brain the ability to zoom my lenses in a way to make the foreground blurred.
Use my curiosity to push me , to zoom my senses on the back ground.


It was the crucial step I took that day in the long road of learning different cultures.
What I saw was very beautiful, colorful ,full with scents , sights, and sounds impossible to discover behind man made barriers separating the people by their cultures.
The barriers are all the same
They must be crossed for a better world of human brotherhood irrespective of religion ,culture and color of skin.
If that words exists or not it is the only place I belong to , it is the only place I want to see all human beings to
gether

No comments: