Sunday, July 19, 2009

The boxes of Tampere

Tampere is a city in Finland.
I was there in February
Landed in an airport of one color
All is white covered with frozen snow.
Arrived to my hotel checked in to my room
Wanted to walk a bit but I felt like a shrimp frozen alive.
End up my short walk in a fur shop bought this famous fur cap yet walking long
in minus 45 degrees with polar wind is an impossible task for me.
In the evening went down to the bar very small bar.
One guest at the bar
Another one on a chair with a cup of beer in front of him
Two hands holding the head stable
And eyes, his eyes, I will never forget in my life fixed inside beer glass
I sat and watch this man and think how long a man can look to his beer?
I stayed next to the guy who was at the bar.
Start to chat with him my eyes on this man who is waiting to see the diver who never
jumped out of his glass of beer.
There was two ladies at one corner,they seem like old friends that did not see each other
for long.And chatting to empty the stories about the things that happened since they each met last
One of them started to move like a parking shuttle bus that we see in airports
Her airport was this hotel bar where she landed
And her parking was the ladies
I never knew that long winter nights with a few hours day time can cause this kind
of behavior.
A man that only look into glass for long minutes...
And a lady that love to ask to bath room?
Every few minutes I imagine she enters looking to lavatory, mirror and sink
telling them:
-Hi boys and girls I hope you behave well.
I am with Anna, you know the girl, that I did not see since we were classmates
But you!, please behave well.
I will come and see you often

-Stay well I am coming soon.

I knew how people behave in south living in sunny countries
But to see the people how they behave in a place where in winter there is little or no sun,was giving me the a cold feeling in my back.A feeling that I was in a ice planet.

Lacking sun light influence in that way the mood?
Thanks god I live in a place where the sun comes back every morning
I dont see my self looking into my glass of beer...
At the end the the shuttle lady run out the gasoline when she was passing near me
And said :
My friend invite you to our table to have a new subject of talking
I imagined they finished the toilet news and old school girls stories
I accepted and joined them
The shuttle lady asked me a question that I will never forget
She said:
Why you men? (I ask my self did I become two men? or is she drank?Than I remember people
in north never get drunk just keep their body warm)
She said why you men?
I made my self small like a small kid ready to face his mothers scolding, and withdraw in panic making like that man who put his head between two hands if he stares to his beer
with scared stiff eyes, why not me also stare to her in same way? That must be body language that is acceptable in the land of ice age.
She said for the third time why you men, have many boxes in your brain?
-You have
A box, for work
A box, for wife
A box, for children
A box, for girlfriend
when you open one of them
You close all the others
and no problem of one box can influence the the problems of other boxes
You know how to divide to rule them all.
She screamed:
-We women....she said.
We only have one big box
And everything is together
Its horrible!

I was horrified,grabbed my key room
run fast to my room
I open the box of this room
Closed all other boxes in my brain
And slept with huge smile in my face, thinking how lucky I am
to live a life of one box at a time

No comments: