Thursday, April 2, 2009

Where is my office?

I am looking back to my office in 1976.

A nice brown office furniture in Brussels Stock Exchange area.Bought from HERTZ rent a car audit office with pins and staplers in drawers with customers files...
A Siemens Telex machine when is typing the whole office will shake at the level 4 in Richter's scale
Endless perforated bant that will make you thinking that the machine can only read BLIND writing.
I was so excited that I could type texts and somebody in Ibadan in Nigeria could print it.
I will receive the full text of Letter of Credit before even it was given to the Opening Bank.
By the time the Original Instrument will arrive to my Bank I already had all original documents
ready.
When my bank was calling me to tell me that they received a Letter of Credit, I will tell them wait I am coming to present you the document.
The bank clerk was very impressed to see that I knew the content before they even transmit it
to me.
I was thinking that we were living ahead of the time being 27 years old.
Later fridge size telex machine had a companion
The first car phone, a huge 1930 like receiver attached almost to my gear box with spiral cable
ended in my booth with almost military version huge antenna.That was around 1980.
The family was getting bigger, one day sitting in my office a sales team arrived unannounced
to my office pushing a trolley on which there was a huge computer it was Honeywell Bull sales team.
The guy tells :
-you have no obligation sign this.Use it for 15 days.Than return it.
I was young at 30 you know?
I believed that there was still free breakfast in this world!
I signed.
There were those huge floppy disks about 20x20 cm
A vertical a4 black and white screen.
My telex machine was screaming of joy, when the computer printer was printing if there was a telex arriving they were both dancing together each shaking the table on which they were printing.
That was the end of loneliness form my telex machine she was real old at last she found the man of her dream to finish the life with an old partner dressing a new suit.

One day i found my self in cemetery to say bye to Mr and Mrs Telex-Printer
A bad boy called Fax arrived suddenly giving a kick to both of them
I was at the 24th floor of a huge sky crapper of the time
Yes in 1980 24th floor was the highest floor in Brussels
And we were so naive we thought as if we are in 120 th floor of buildings today
We were so proud in parking of that building the guards were very afraid to say hallo to us
Even if the office was just 40 sqm there was nobody higher than us
And with clouds level always at 10 meters in Brussels it was not important if you were at 4th or 24th floor we were in high skies.
The fax was very stubborn but slowly Miss Copy machine arrived, and printer
3 were fighting each other like ladies in retirement house thinking what is life without men?
One day the door was knocked
A guy arrived
I looked at him
I think this guy look greedy, anyway I bought his computer
After I paid.I see he keep his hands in my pocket
I said please?
I paid you .
Why don't you go?
He answered Oh No.
I want to keep my hand in your pocket so each time when I want to be richer
I will stop your machine
And keep sending you update
In this way I can take your money even when machine is yours?
I asked him why?
He said with an angel face:
-You know? I never forget how I was poor in that garage.
-I have decided to help the poor children.
-Everyday I wake up I see with hurting heart how much more children are poor
-I think OK I will send him a file.
When he wants to update,
My hand in your pocket can take more money for you
Are not you happy, you are also helping the poor children
I was thinking yes he is right.
But everyday having the feeling of someone Else's hand in my pocket was not so fun
But I had no choice other than to sacrifice my trousers privacy for the noble act of charity.
He also had an argument
Now you have 3 in 1 machine
A printer, A fax machine and a Copy machine.

The cemetery of Mr and Mrs Telex-Printer had a gloomy destiny.
Their children were dying so young.
The ghosts of technological progress were all laughing all the way to the bank of hell.
The technological revolution was eating its own children.
Yes in fact the tendency is worrying any new born babies were dying young.
My office was worried.
If they are changing the small things here, he said
Soon will be my end too.
And I said naively do not worry ...
I will never leave you.
It is the only place I feel a king of a one man kingdom.
How can I live without you?
A promise that I better did not make that day.
But I really believed in what I said.
Can it be the technology became mad..
A horrible infanticide.
How someone can have a new baby, hug him,admire him praise him and before long
send him to death to a more and more crowded cemetery.
Not long after that
I think it was 1998 suddenly a phone arrived.
I was in Hong Kong
It was a real killer.
A messiah of a new world
A world without a man in your pocket.
A world without a computer on table.
A world without fax machine
It was a brick open it
Can have 2 number fax number and mobile number
And it was Nokia 9110
when I was in a bus on a high way from Guangzhou to Shantou in south China
I was laughing.
Just dial 163 connect e mail
Somebody faxes you and you can see the picture format opening
Even the screen was lousy in to days terms
I understood that day my office also will join the rising crowd of victims of this monster called
technology
It was confusing as if there was a curse.
Anything we touched was becoming fossils right in the front of our eyes.
We became a generation that don't give the chance to other generations to see the fossils.
We even steal the pleasure of future generations.
But what can we do?
This is our time and it is our life..
Confused or not we must live with it.
The world now became like a disco.
In which the ghosts of past and the survivors and those who have the illusion to lead the future
are all dancing.
Lap tops became crazy they become big?Small? and Big again...
They are expensive cheap expensive cheap again
Desk tops also were fat after a big diet became slim with displays to tempt those who are tempted
And disc jockey plays all kinds of music at the same time as he never saw people from different generation dancing with tunes so different.
Yes we were again in this endless hinge called in the mean time squeezed between the recent past and near future.
People were shouting
Yeah I am free
Yeah I am mobile
Mobile almost meant a position of ultimate power.
People gained mobility changing cities,friends,children,jobs,toys everything faster and faster...
And when they have time and look back.
They see they dispersed their memories beloved ones photo albums all around the world.

It was so hard to go back to every place we have been
To every friend we had
How will be possible to go to every place
TOOK TOOK TOOK
knock the door
And hey I came here to talk about past
Can we look to albums please.....
Mission impossible...

I had a phone and they called it Pear....You know that fruit?

And when it came out I bought one.
They are all fighting for copy right
My copy right
Means other can not copy me
But at the same time I can copy whom I want

And Than a phone that has another OS called DOORS came out
Somehow Doors knew how to function like a Pear
You just feel the skin of display
Yeah really?
It just feels like Pear
Amazing is not it?
Just push left right the picture moves
and make a circle hihihihi
It zooms ...

All the people got the fever..
They all say Pear Like keyboard,Pear like underwear,pear like ring tones.
In this turmoil crisis arrived
People lost jobs,offices,factories,investment
But who cares
We all have our office and our family photo albums in our Pear,Doors,Samson and Dalila phones display.
All we need is a toxic signal of Wireless or others boys from family like GPRS or G3,8
Now I explain to those who ask me why I do not have an office.
The answer yes I do have it.
It is in my pocket.
It is there after the hand of my friend who like the charities vacated the place.
Sometimes it is called NOCHIA nowadays it is Pear or Doors.
The reason you do not see it is simple.
It is getting smaller.
We were all social animals in past
We still are today
Like in the past we chose our hobbies,friends and activities
Like in the past we work
But it is only our hands are getting longer we do not need to drive,fly,buy ticket,ask visa,knock the door...
We just do click click click
And the people decide
to answer the click
or to ignore it
Now everybody knows how I lost my office
Its because my office is in buses
In waiting lounge of airports, who cares about the delay I can still work there
In subway
In my bed when I sleep or when I wake up i have wireless fruit and house part.
I do click click click and like a dangerous magician i can visit my friends houses
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
they are sleeping
Never mind I open their album
I can see my or their pictures
write a small word of love
And close that magic door of NECK BOOK
Some complain about addiction
I will call it revenge of mobility
We were mobile
And we are thirsty
We find out we forgot our family ,relations,our friends each of every one of them
Now it is the Razzia
It is like plundering the lost treasures of our past
I think it is wonderful
Ah for the crisis
I think we should not need to worry
The people who let us see our lost loves
Will also find a way to get back our wealth and standing
All we need is to work
In small or big offices

Reminder
The similarity of this fictional story with real or existing people and entities is just pure coincidence.The aim of this article is just to react to our changing world....

No comments: