Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Lawyer who drove a Jaguar

I am in Los Angeles,visiting the head quarters of Mc Pinchock Inc (name changed) to finalize the purchase of some dust collecting spare parts.
I have to visit them to get direction to their warehouse
I arrive there early in the morning,was received by their Vice President International Market
The flight from Brussels was comfortable other then Jet lag I did not have any problem.
Suddenly the CEO pass and he knows me from some trade shows in past
And he asked me why I was there.
I say well we have made a contract we had a deal I am here to conclude the transaction.
Since the spare parts are old stock the condition of a physical inspection is in the contract.
He says we have no deal you can go back to your country.
I did not study law,but I know breaking a contract without a legitimate reason can be subject
to compensation.
Compensation of lost profit,for me,for my customers,and customers customers.....
That can go up several times the value of the contract
The problem. I know nobody in Los Angeles
I visit my transporter ask him to advise me a lawyer
The lawyer comes with his Jaguar and invite himself to a French restaurant
As if I did not eat enough French food in Belgium he must think I am living
in north pole...
In the time of blizzard I was having the dream of flying to Los Angeles and having
a lawyer take me to a French restaurant.

Anyway I saw the bill.It was very salty for a lousy French food imitation.
250 US$....
Bad quality food, high price and a very greedy lawyer ready to skim a simple commercial litigation was making a perfect formula for me to prepare a stratagem not to fall in the trap
of contributing to buy his next Bentley.......

I explained him there is a contract
I ask him if he can defend me.
I can see in his eyes $ signs....

I told him I have a condition that he should respect if he is ready to solve this litigation and help me to collect the goods....
He asked me what was my condition.
I said well if you settle this problem in 3 days you will receive 3000 dollars
Every additional week this amount will go down by 500 dollars.
After 6 weeks you need to pay me 500 dollars per week, advitam eternam.
I added I know many countries one can live like a king with 500 dollars a week.

Next morning I was flying a small plane 4 seater's,from Los Angeles to Lake Havasu enjoying the scenery of Arizona the goods were stocked there
The desert climate was perfect to avoid corrosion many planes also wait there to fly at a more convenient time
I went to check the goods they were oily and not dry and not rusted.
What happened to lawyer?
Yes I forgot when heard my offer
He said you are a character
I like you I want to be your friend so I accept your offer
All I did was to put the interest of the lawyer and his client in the same basket
Needless to say when he called the company that day,people were afraid of litigation
and direct him to their lawyer in Boston.
And Vice President called me apologizing that the CEO was going to have an operation
that day and I was just an unexpected visitor to have his warm welcome
And the lawyer was just able to collect the best offer and pay the next servicing bill of his Jaguar
with my litigation
I was happy not to come back empty handed
Besides the insult to French Cuisine I still remember that day in Los Angeles.
The lawyer who wanted to be my friend
Did you ever heard the words:
Lip Service
Well that was one of them
I do not know if he remember me.I am sure he must think my case was a win for me but
an unavoidable failure for him.
But I still remember him

No comments: